Basin Elementary School
Basin Elementary School
30 N. Quartz
P.O. Box 128
Basin, MT 59631
2020-2021 School Year News
We have an open teaching position for the 2021-2020 school year! For more information please find our Jobs tab!
Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome back! We are so excited to have the students back in school this year, especially after the craziness that was last spring! Our first day this year will be Wednesday, September 2nd. With that being said, due to some new regulations and safety precautions we have to take to keep everyone in our Basin School community safe and healthy, this year will look a little different than it has in the past. However, myself, the school board, and other staff members are working hard to do everything we can to make sure school is as normal as we can possibly make it so students feel safe and welcomed, and can do their best learning. Some of these things include:
- We are asking parents to be diligent with doing daily symptom checks on their students before sending their students to school. I will be sending home some guides to help you with this. To help us keep school open, please do not send your kids to school sick, or with any of the listed symptoms on the attached COVID information sheets.
- A more strict sick policy. We will be sending home some guides for families to help them through whether it is safe to send their kids to school. It will now be required that your students do not come to school with a cough and that they have been fever free for 72 hours with no medication.
- We will be doing our best to abide by social distancing guidelines in the classroom, keeping contact between students at a minimum as best we can.
- There will be more regular and thorough sanitation of classrooms and furniture throughout the day when it is possible for the staff to do so.
- Students will be asked to do more regular hand sanitizing and washing.
- Due to a governors mandate, we are required to wear masks in the school setting. Students will need to wear masks when they arrive on the school grounds. We will provide masks or you can feel welcome to send masks for your students. I will do my best to keep you updated on how this is changing. I plan to be as caring and understanding during this time as possible.
- We will not be doing shared/community supplies this year, all students will have to have their own supplies.
- We will also have an online learning platform set up for if your student cannot attend school for any reason. My hopes with this is to have a system in place and be able to familiarize students with it on a regular daily basis, so if something does happen, it is not a huge change like it was in the spring. Also, if you have a student who is high risk and you do not feel comfortable sending them to school, this will be an option. Please reach out to me early so we can make a plan and get this set up if you choose to go this route. With a more strict sick policy, I am also hoping this helps students who have to be out keep caught up from home.
- Whether you choose to do completely remote based learning for your student/s or send your kids to school and participate in in-person learning and instruction we ask for your complete support and commitment to your choice. We are hoping that the online platform will help students keep up during sick days, but we ask that you please do not take advantage of this by taking your students out of school for reasons that are not illness related and lean on online work.
- We will be doing a blended learning model. Due to COVID and Miss Listoe being the only teacher. School will start at 8:00 in the morning, and be released at 2:15 Monday through Thursdays. Fridays will be days where students do not attend school in-person. These will be days used for intervention with students and some distance learning assignments. Teachers and paras will be at the school and available on Fridays to provide support for students.
Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns regarding your child(ren). We know that you have a choice about where you choose to send your child(ren) for their education, and we do not take that opportunity lightly. Thank you for sharing your child(ren) with us.
Something else we have not had to deal with in my (Miss Listoe’s) time at Basin School is that we were not able to hire a second teacher. We have hired a second paraprofessional to help Miss Listoe, your students, and you. Also, Mrs. Makowski is returning this year.
A few reminders for parents: Students may arrive on the playground no earlier than 7:45 when the playground aide arrives. We will also be offering morning tutoring starting September 21st. This will start at 7:15 in the morning.
We are really excited to be continuing our hot lunch program. Please be sure to get those Free/Reduced lunch applications back to us as soon as possible, they do need to be filled out every year. They are extremely confidential. Even if you don’t think you will qualify, please send it back to us. Having these forms filled out helps us ensure that we can continue to have this program in place for all students. We will send a monthly lunch menu home, so be sure to look for that. The menu will also be posted on our website.
The School Board has also voted to provide every student with a snack each day during school hours at no cost to families. The snack will be a healthy snack, chosen by staff and served before morning recess.
After School Program will be starting on September 21st, we are still working out times and number of days for this. As of right now we are looking at four days a week, and it starting at 2:15 when students are dismissed.
Myself and the School Board, with feedback from parents, have decided not to continue with the band program this year for many reasons. We are very grateful to Mr. Bowman for his time and hard work given to our Basin Students.
I am also working very hard to keep the school website up to date with all the information I have to keep in more frequent contact with you until school starts. Currently, our school supplies list and the 2020-2021 calendar are also there.
Basin Elementary School offers a Title I program for students that may need additional support. We also offer a Gifted and Talented program. If you feel that your child may benefit from either of these programs please feel free to reach out to me.
Attached to this letter, you will find a variety of permission slips I need signed and returned by the first day of school, Wednesday, September 2.
We look forward to working with you and your child(ren) this year.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions.
Phone: (406) 225-3211
Why Basin Elementary School?
Keeping up with the latest and greatest trends in education, Basin Elementary School incorporates flexible seating, standards based grading, project based learning, small student to teacher ratio, a family-like setting, a Gifted and Talented program, Title I program, a wide array of technology for students, and much more. For the 2019-2020 school year, Basin Elementary School will be continuing to offer the lunch program with food from the award winning kitchen at Boulder Elementary. We will also be continuing morning tutoring and after school program thanks to our 21st Century Grant.